Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Whats new!!

When I first wrote about my diagnosis I promised that I would keep blogging about what was going on health wise in my life. So I guess I should keep my promise!
 
First off I feel great today! I have great days and then just good days. I can never say that I have bad days because I still can get out of bed, pick up my babies, see my babies and kiss my hubby. Until one of those things can not happen I will always be having a good day!!
I started treatment about 2 months ago. The first month was very easy, it was basically just a "learning" month. Willie gives me the injections 3 times a week (I'm a big ole scaredy cat and won't do it myself) And they aren't as bad as I had anticipated! The injection burns like a mo fo for about a min after then the area is very sore and tingly for about 12-24 hours after. We do the injection a 9pm with the hopes that I will sleep thru any side effects. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Even the worst of the worst it is still tolerable. It's usually just flu like symptoms. Body aches, feverish, chills. The next day can be kind of rough too, I'm usually pretty tired. The dr gave me something for that and it doesn't seem to help much but hey I'm a mom of 2 I'm supposed to be tired right??
Another side effect of MS is fatigue so every couple of days I get hit with the worst exhaustion I have ever experienced. I can usually tell when it's coming or what will bring it on like the day after an injection so I just give in and close my eyes and not even sleep just rest for about 20 mins and that helps a bit. oh and down lots of caffeine;) Max is wonderful and if I tell him we are going to have a few mins of quite time he will just watch a lil tv next to me on the couch and I put the baby in her swing. I'm so blessed with such wonderful kiddies!!
About 2 weeks ago I had an appointment with my neurologist and he says that I'm doing wonderfully on this medication and that if all my labs come back good I can stay on it and they did! Whoo hoo I'm very happy to stay on this medication because he would have switched me to a daily injection and ugh I did not want that! I don't have to return to see him for 4 months and just a lil more blood work in 4-6 weeks just to monitor liver and vitamin D levels and if those stay good I'm to just keep doing what I'm doing!
I have an appt with the Opthamologist that I work for in a couple of weeks.  He just wants to do an exam and a few tests. I have optic neuritis in my left eye which is very common in MS patients as well. It's just a constant fogginess or it's like my contact is dirt . I first noticed it when I went for a jog about 2 months ago, I had a big blank spot in my vision when my heart rate went up and my body temp rose. Now whenever I do any physical activity it does it but it's not as scary now that I know what's happening! but it doesn't stop me from Zumba-ing!!
Almost all the numbness is completely gone but I still have no taste on the right side of my mouth. I have used that to my advantage tho, like eating an extremely hot pepper that brought tears to the boys eyes. I didn't even bat an eye at it;)
 
In other news Elsie is 4 months old, Max is doing extraordinary in school and Willie is same old wonderful (or as the Couchman's refer to him as "dreamboat" lol) Willie! We are just doing what we always do; living, loving and laughing. I feel like we are in the swing of having 2 kiddies! Max goes to preschool 4 days a week which has been wonderful for him. He's been moved up to Kindergarten reading level (PROUD parents!!) I returned (with the warmest welcome!!) to work 2 weeks ago. I only work on Fridays and it's so great to be using my brain and talking to grown up! Plus I work with the most wonderful group of ladies and I have to very best boss's ever so it makes it much easier to leave my babies and hubs.
I also want to thank everyone who thinks about me and checks in on me, I appreciate all the support! I really do have the very best group of friends and family that anyone could ever ask for!!! XOXOXO

1 comment:

  1. Maggie, my love, you continue to be the ray of sunshine you have always been...even when exhausted! I think of you often and love you always.

    ReplyDelete